About metal allergy [Jewelry/Earrings]

wedding ring

The causative agent (allergen) of metal allergy is not the metal itself. Metals have the property of dissolving metal ions in body fluids such as sweat, and when these combine with proteins in the body, they become allergens. Metal allergies occur when the body considers these to be foreign substances and causes an overreaction. In other words, metals that tend to cause allergic reactions can be said to be metals that easily elute into sweat and body fluids.

Be careful with piercings

18k gold earrings Metal products are common in everyday life, but since accessories are often worn on the skin for long periods of time, it is better to check the amount of materials that are easily eluted. Especially with piercings, you need to be careful because the metal comes into direct contact with the subcutaneous tissue, and if the piercing hole is scratched, the possibility of metal ions leaching out from the body fluids from the wound increases.

Metals that can cause allergic reactions

Most metals corrode and elute, but here we will list four metals that are particularly easy to elute, followed by five metals that are the next most likely to elute.

Metals that are particularly prone to metal allergies <br>Nickel mercury cobalt tin

The metals that are most likely to cause metal allergies : Palladium, chromium, iron, aluminum, copper

If we simply compare the materials, the ones mentioned above are easier to elute.

Let's take a look at the materials that require special attention.

Base metals include copper and brass (alloy of copper and zinc), and in the case of alloys, the higher the ratio, the higher the possibility of metal allergy. Examples of plating include chrome plating, rhodium plating (nickel plating is often used as the base), and gold plating (nickel plating is often used as the base). If it is a metal plating with a low possibility of metal allergy, I think it is fine because the surface is coated, but since the plating peels off over time, an allergic reaction can occur to the exposed base or base metal. More likely. I think most people who are aware of their metal allergy are reacting to cheap accessories made from the materials listed above.

If you have an allergic reaction to jewelry (precious metals)

pendant top I think most people's allergic reactions will go away by trying 18K gold, 925 silver, 900 platinum, etc. However, in rare cases, some people may develop an allergic reaction to jewelry made of precious metals. Such people may be reacting to the materials used for precious metals. 18K is an alloy of 75% gold, 12.5% ​​silver and 12.5% ​​copper, 925 Silver is an alloy of 92.5% Silver and 7.5% Copper, and 900 Platinum is an alloy of 90% Platinum and 10% Palladium. It may be reacting with the copper and palladium used in these alloys. Pure gold, silver, and platinum are metals that are extremely difficult to ionize.

Reason for alloy

I think the problem will be solved if we use pure gold, silver, or platinum as materials. However, when used in their pure state, they have the disadvantages of being too soft, easily abraded, and difficult to maintain their shape as jewelry. It would be a shame if the jewelry you bought comes off easily, gets deformed easily, becomes full of scratches, or wears out quickly. Alloyed 18k gold, 925 silver, and 900 platinum are excellent jewelry materials that were developed to improve these disadvantages. One of its appeals is that it is less likely to cause allergies, as it has a low proportion of materials that can cause metal allergies.

About surgical stainless steel

Surgical stainless steel is a well-coined word meaning surgical = medical use and stainless steel = non-rusting iron.It is a material that can be mass-produced at a lower cost than general stainless steel, and is more sensitive to metal allergies. It was developed as. The material is an alloy of 67.5% iron, 18% chromium, 12% nickel, and 2.5% molybdenum. It contains nickel, which is considered the metal most likely to cause allergies, and most of it is iron and chromium, so it cannot be said that there is no risk of metal allergy. Surgical stainless steel is never used for bones. You will need to be more careful than precious metals used in jewelry. I often see items that are plated to achieve a color finish, but I think these fall into a category that requires special attention.

Materials that are unlikely to cause metal allergic reactions

For customers who have allergic reactions to common precious metals, at Kikondo, we also offer earring posts made of pure titanium, 22K gold, and palladium-free platinum.

Author of this article

After working for a jewelry manufacturer in his hometown of Yamanashi Prefecture for three years, he became independent and established Kikondo. After that, he became involved in jewelry production for 7 years. After giving birth to and raising four children, she is now gradually returning to work and is making jewelry and wood crafts using the lacquer finish wood craft techniques she learned in Kyoto when she was a student. See details

Seller: Kikando Address: 472-10 Nakashitajo, Kai City, Yamanashi Prefecture 400-0124
TEL / MAIL: 09035261219 / info@mokkindo.works
URL: https://mokkindo.shop